"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will -- to your surprise -- miss them profoundly."

--Thomas S. Monson, 2009







Saturday, July 5, 2008

Isabelle la futbolista by Ben Anderson



On Wednesday I was lucky enough to take Izzy to her fun soccer. I had a blast, and was hugely impressed with how well she played.



Getting ready to go



For the first bit Izzy just stood there, and watched the boys play. After about 15 minutes she walked off the field, and hugged my leg, telling me that she didn't want to play soccer anymore, and that she wanted to go home. Being the super-dad that I am, I gave her a hug and asked why. She didn't think she was fast enough to play with the boys. I gave her a little pep-talk, and told her that if she wanted the ball to go and take it.



Izzy post pep-talk, taking the ball from the boys.



This is part 1 of making a sweet change of direction while dribbling




Part 2 of the jaw dropping move


As a big time lover of the beautiful game, I naturally want my children to enjoy, and excel at it, but I was most proud of how Isabelle tried her hardest to take the ball, and to move it to where she wanted to go. She played her little heart out, and had the grass-stains on her knee to prove it. I love soccer, and cheering for my kids, but more than that I love being their dad, and giving the hug or pep-talk they need to have a good time. I hope that never changes, even if she does decide she doesn't want to play soccer anymore.