"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will -- to your surprise -- miss them profoundly."

--Thomas S. Monson, 2009







Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dia del Padre by Ben Anderson

I know it's a little late, but I had a great Father's Day! Fantastic! It was mostly celebrated on Saturday, which was great. Saturday AM started with a fast-breaking feast of epic proportions. I feel uncomfortably full, just thinking about it. Cake-Waffles with ice cream, raspberries, whipped cream, and sausage. I just couldn't stop eating! Heavenly (and that's not a word I toss around lightly). After breakfast the girls gave me my gift. They had done such a great job of keeping it a secret, that I was completely surprised. After I had opened my Father's Day gift Lily excitedly proclaimed, "We got you a scarf too, Dad!" (the awesome Manchester United scarf was actually for my birthday, but who can blame a 3 year old for getting a little impatient?)

Aside from the breakfast that I will reflect on with joy for months to come, and the gifts that I will wear proudly, and with affection, the greatest things I received for Father's Day were received bi-annually over the last 6 years. First my wonderful wife, who is my greatest blessing, and a source of exceeding joy. The best thing about being a Dad is partnering with her in this endeavor.



Next are my girls. I can't list them individually, because it is impossible for me to put them in any order. Collectively they make me miserable almost every day. I sit at work thinking about how much I'd rather be where they are than where I am. In their own ways they make me happier than I could have ever imagined, and there are so many things I love doing with them.



I love Izzy singing her silly songs, or telling everyone we meet everything she will do for the next two days.



Lily makes me laugh when we are driving, and she shouts from the back seat, "I want to listen to the Beatles!" and continuing until I comply (which isn't usually a hard sell)



Chloe is so young, but is such a fun little girl. She loves giving high-fives, and bounces. I love when she tries to communicate in her way, and when I get it she melts me with her grin.

As this is a Father's day post I have to mention how blessed I am with regards to Father's. My own Father has been an example of faith and commitment throughout my life. I strive to emmulate him as I develop relationships with my own children. I am also very lucky to have a terrific Father-in-Law who is 100% dedicated to the happiness of his children and grandchildren. If I were an scientist with a hunch-back assistantand a secret lab I would combine the DNA of these two amazing fathers to build a Super-Dad to be my Dad Coach. They are both terrific examples to me of what a father should and can be. Happy Father's Day to all Father's, but the Happiest Father's day of all was mine.