"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will -- to your surprise -- miss them profoundly."

--Thomas S. Monson, 2009







Thursday, February 13, 2014

I love Primary

The other day I was picking my kids up from school, and a little girl from Primary was there waiting for her mom.  She saw me pull up, got up from playing in the snow, walked up to our van, peeked her head inside and smiled and waved at me while saying, "Thank you for teaching me in Primary!"  It was so sweet.  Many times I have been at the school, volunteering or there for a concert or something, and one of the many children from Primary see me and give me a big smile and wave.  I love it!  This is the first time ever that my kids have gone to the same school as so many kids from church, and I love it!  It is a new experience for all of us, and we all love it.  It just confirms to me that having our kids change schools to this one was the right decision.  They love going to school with church friends, being in the same class as them, participating in the same clubs and groups as them, being able to carpool because we are closer and live closer together, and just spend more time with them. 
 
We started a new little thing in Primary that seems to be going pretty well so far!  I saw online a Primary that did a "Me in a Bag" for their Primary, and I thought  let's do that too, only make it "My Family in a Bag" to get to know everyone's unique family and go with this year's theme, Families Are Forever.  Each week one family is chosen to take the bag home and bring back one item that represents something their family loves to do together.  Then when they (or the parents) share what they brought, they can also tell us a little about their family, like everyone's names, and a special memory.  My kids went first, just to kick it off and explain what it was, and they chose to bring a bike helmet because we love bike riding.  Another family brought a bottle of syrup to show how they love making pancakes together.  It is fun and interesting to learn of everyone's families.  We will even get the teachers involved!  The kids LOVE to learn about their teachers!  I made two bags, one for Junior and one for Senior.
 
 

I also made these before Christmas for the teachers for their birthday gift.  They are Rolo chocolate bars wrapped in red paper that says, "you are a DYNAMITE teacher! Happy birthday!"  When Olivia saw them she said, "Those are a lot of bombs!"

 
My counselor made Ring Pop treats for the kids' birthdays with a cute tag that says, "You are a JEWEL to teach!"  Another counselor made cute Starburst treats for the many subs that help us out each week pretty much.  Last year the bday gifts were a non-food item (an adorable wooden block that said I am a Child of God), so we decided to make them food items this year, and then next year we can go back to non-food again!  I know kids get so many treats and candy all the time, but their birthdays are a special occasion. 
 
I am loving Primary!  It is a great place to be!