| The girls and I with their gifts they made for me |
| picnic at Government House Park |
| Warm sun on our faces |
Mother's Day (May 11, 2014)
The day started with breakfast in bed, waffles with whip cream and raspberries, sausages, and my favorite 5 Alive juice. I didn't want to eat it alone in my bed though, so everyone carried it down and we ate in the kitchen together. Then everyone had gifts for me! Lily kept saying she had "ELEVEN" gifts for me. She gave me homemade sugar scrub for feet, a card, a poem, and 8 papers with notes and pictures on them. Izzy gave me foot scrub too (they made it at Activity Days) and a hand painted rock to look like a ladybug. Perfect for the garden. Chloe gave me a little clay pot she made at school with 3 Hershey kisses in them, and asked if I could share them. I did, each person got half of one. Olivia gave me a gift all wrapped and asked me to be careful not to rip the wrapping. Inside was a small candle she had decorated beautifully. There was also a card that said,"I love you because you take me to preschool and to 7-11." Ben gave me a beautiful necklace, one that I had been hoping for. I wore it to church. Everytime I looked down I wanted to just stare at it, I thought it was so pretty. He had another gift--2 tickets to The Mayfield Dinner theater this Friday night. Hairspray is the play. I'm so excited! Then he had ANOTHER gift for me! The box set of all the seasons of Downton Abbey--a show he can't stand but knows I love. Wow. I felt so showered with love and gifts. Church was wonderful. The primary sang, "I often go walking.." and my heart was full of joy listening to those beautiful children I serve each week. The priesthood took over Primary and we all got to go to RS and enjoy uplifting stories and experiences about motherhood, and visiting and treats. Olivia was so concerned after church, and said to me, "Mom, why were you hiding?" She couldn't find me in the usual spot of the primary room. We all got potted pansies to take home. I put them in our Owl Container in the little garden. After church we packed a picnic and went to Government House park. Chicken salad croissant sandwiches, watermelon, veggie chips, cookies and juice. We enjoyed the warm sun on our backs and faces. The children climbed trees. We walked by the river. We ran into Ben's aunt and uncle and talked for a bit. It was actually really comforting and sweet to get hugs from them even though we aren't that close. There was a strong feeling of familiarity around them. We came home and had cheesecake and rested. One word to describe today? Bliss. Or, heaven. It was a blissful, heavenly day. I am so grateful to God for being a mother and having that opportunity. I'm grateful for the women all around me and in my life who have been good mothers to me. On the drive home, I thought about the baby I lost last November. I know I'll meet her/him one day. I felt sad for a moment, but then happy with the knowledge of these 4 beautiful children that grace my life everyday. I realized later what an appropriate day it was for my thoughts to turn to that miscarriage. Perhaps it was the Spirit reminding me I have other children besides the ones here in mortality with me. I also have the two I lost, this most recent one and the one from over 12 years ago. That I have more joy and blessings to come, waiting for me, for the day we meet again. I still think often of that child in November. Not everyday like I used to, but occasionally, it'll come to my mind. Something will remind me. I remember when I held it, how tiny and fragile it was. How I had a strong feeling it was a child of God, it had a spirit of its own. I would like more children, but at the same time I am content to just focus on and raise the ones I have. I'm grateful Heavenly Father saw fit to allow these ones to come into my home and life here. They needed mortality and to live and have this earthly experience, and Heavenly Father allowed them to be with me. Anyway, it was a wonderful Mother's day. I chatted with my own mother. I met an old friend of hers today and she helped remind me what a wonderful person she is. I am truly blessed in this life. I have a wonderful life and environment in which to grow and progress and learn.
And here is another little entry I made a week later that I also don't want to forget:
Sunday May 18
Another fantastic wonderful Sunday. We had a great day at church. During the sacrament meeting, we were singing the song "As now we take the sacrament" and during the part that says,"with hands now pledged to do thy work, we take the sacrament," Izzy was singing so brightly and clearly and beautifully beside me and it really hit me how wonderful it is that we were sitting there together in church, dressed modestly, spending that true quality time together, pledging through song to do the Lord's work. How lucky our children are we take them to church each week, a church where they learn to be virtuous and desire good and holy things. It's our life, and a huge part of how we raise them. I felt glad and happy. Then after church we went for a nice, refreshing walk up around Beaumaris Lake, one of my favorite parts of Edmonton. It took us about an hour total or more and I loved each minute. I felt so happy and revived and full of joy. Happy to be a mom and a family and ben's wife and happy to be all together. Bonus at the end when Izzy and Lily spotted goslings with the mother and father goose at the end. I told the girls how the goslings in a row reminded me of them all in a row following dad and me on bike rides we take. They laughed. It was so nice to be in nature and feel God's love through His marvelous creations, the plants and wildlife. The girls loved spotting all the kinds of birds. Then the car ride home they all wanted to hear stories of when they were little. They loved to laugh and hear what they were like. Then at home Izzy showed me how to make a craft she's been asking to make with me all weekend--a bookmark holder. It was fun. Then we had dinner together and then watched A League of Their Own after. The girls all LOVED it. ALL of them! I wasn't sure they would, but they did. It was so heartwarming to watch a movie about sisterhood, camaraderie, friendship, being part of a team, and sportsmanship. They LOVED it! Loved talking about how they would stick up for a girl who couldn't read, and a girl considered ugly, a sister, always cheering for your sister and being friends for life until they're old and grey. It was a WONDERFUL day and evening. I love my family and my daughters. Dear Father in heaven, I thank you so much. For these children, my husband, my family, love, nature. Thank you. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
